Friday, May 21, 2010

With New Eyes-Blogger's Quilt Fest Spring 2010

Seven months....that's how long it has been since the last Blogger's Quilt Fest and that's how long I have been blogging....so I'll blame...uhum....thank Amy for that!;) Thanks Amy!! I will also thank Lynz for this quilt....With New Eyes....she is the one that told us about the tutorial at Sew Mama Sew for a supersized Shoo-Fly quilt. Each individual square on mine is 25" and that is a perfect size for showcasing a large print....which I realized in the above photo is upside down!
Ah, this is better. Once I saw this pattern I really couldn't think of what fabric to use...then I had a dream and actually remembered it when I woke up. In my dream I was recommending Jane Sassaman's Sunshine and Shadows to a customer because of the big print....duh! Big and bold Jack-in-the-Pulpit and Coleus in amazing colors...perfect! This is the first quilt I have sewn that I have used fabrics totally from a collection...sometimes you just have to go with it! Speaking of going....go check out the Blogger's Quilt Fest Flickr pool too....amazing things going on out there!!

With the leftovers I started to sew something for the backing but decided it needed to be it's own quilt...so now it is a work in progress.
So once again I took what was now leftover and found a mauvy purple solid Kona and a few wavy quilting lines later With News Eyes was done....and named after a band my son used to be in....now his band is Hold Tight!
Green, purple and fushia....I think these are my favorite colors...how lucky was I to find these two chairs while at the beach this week...they go pretty good with our door!
I think those are Slates favorite colors too!
~d
"Originality is simply a pair of fresh eyes."
Thomas W. Higginson







28 comments:

  1. Love the Super-Sized Shoo-Fly quilt - wonderful colors! Your quilts are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this D! The fabrics are beautiful - I'm so glad to be the one to blame on your blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! beautiful quilt Dee!I'm so glad Amy "made" you start blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful quilt! I am in love with those supersized shoo fly blocks. Your pictures are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Super Shoo especially! But love how one thing leads to another!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing quilt, and using Sassaman fabric a true inspiration!
    Thanks so much for sharing!
    Valentina from faraway Cyprus

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're having too much fun! I love that super-sized quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning quilt! I love the ones that really showcase beautiful fabric. And really enjoyed your lovely photos, they told the story really well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the design on the first quilt!

    margaret
    www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have told you on Flickr allready how much I love this quilt! and what a super pic of Slate... adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great quilt ... but Slate steals the show!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah. quilts look wonderful. outdoors looks wonderful and you blog a very happy life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great fabrics in the quilt, and I like those pink chairs

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic quilt - love the whole look of it, front and back.

    ReplyDelete
  15. beautiful quilt - and great garden to be as well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love some of the big designs and look for ways to use them. This is a stunner. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. love the front ... ADORE the back!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks you everyone for all the lovely comments. This was a really fun quilt to make and I just couldn't go wrong with such amazing fabric!

    Lisa....whick back do you "adore"....the one it WAS going to be or the one it IS?;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the colours in this- it looks so different with the large prints, too. I think your original back will make a fantastic companion piece, too, you clever girl !

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just love the oversized blocks and large scale fabrics, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. this shoo fly is gorgeous. i love the colors

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is one of my new favorite quilts! Shoo fly fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. nice quilt!! a fun idea that seems so simple but you've done it so beautifully and in marvelous fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great fabrics you have used. Glad you remembered your dream so you could make this beauty.

    ReplyDelete