Sunday, June 29, 2014

Slate

We all grieve in different ways...our boy with a pencil and pen...

 ...our girl with words.

Slumber 

It does not matter if you are prepared,
no times enough to stop the choke, the tears. 
I guess the streaks just prove you really cared,
and loved your cat through seventeen great years. 

There never was a headbutt of such love
than those that we received from our gray cat. 
I never tired of Dad's texts theirof
and to this day I'm glad that Mom went back:

Once we had brought his brothers to our home
Mom looked at us and got back in the car,
and sped right back so he could not far roam,
to claim the slate-gray kitten from afar. 

The years to come will never recreate
another friend as wonderful as Slate. 

We brought him back home and cried.
~d

11 comments:

  1. This post has made me cry Dee. So sorry for you all and completely understand having lost our wee Lola just a few months ago. What a beautiful drawing and poem, what amazingly talented kids you have. Lots of love to you all xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shit, I was needing a great big NSFW label on this one! *sniffs* I'm so sorry, dearheart, it's always so hard to lose a family member (two or four footed.) But seventeen?!? Wow, what a guy. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a sweet drawing and a wonderful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Dee I am so sorry for all of you, but Slate had a wonderful full life and to get to t he grand age of seventeen he surely must have been some fantastic cat. Love to you all x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry for your loss. Last monday my sister lost her cat, too (after 16 years). She was such a sweetie. It's really hard to lose a four-legged family member.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone....day by day it's getting easier....his little quilted mat is now hanging above where his food bowls were and we can look at it and smile with a little less tears.

    Like the girl said....headbutts of love were the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, just catching up on my blog reading. So sorry Dee. That kitty got lots of love and a wonderful life with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, no. I'm so sorry to read this, Dolores. My heart breaks for you, head-butting cats are just the best ever, they really show their trust and love for you and you get to return the favor. I'm so sad, what a beautiful poem by your daughter and your sketch is just great. I know you'll miss your Slate. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete